[PRO] New Womens and Childrens Hospital

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Message
Author
User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#106 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:56 am

I don't think so - this little triangle tends to spring into life whenever there's rail maintenance work going on. I presume the current activity relates to the electrification project or similar but I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#107 Post by citywatcher » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:55 am

Let's hope not
We don't want this govt starting any major projects

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk


Edward
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:25 pm

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#108 Post by Edward » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:23 pm

https://www.wch.sa.gov.au/about/new_wch ... oject.html

New video showing updated proposal.
I have to admit it is a significant aesthetic improvement on the previous artist impressions.
It appears that they are proposing the addition of a multi-story carpark on Gaol Rd. This may have been associated with the activity that NTRabbit witnessed the other day?

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 6136
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#109 Post by Norman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:08 pm

It will be interesting how a car park in the middle of a heritage-sensitive area will go. It definitely won't be complimentary to the current setting! That will mean some zoning changes will be ahead, and a few jousts with heritage groups.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1580
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#110 Post by Nort » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm

Definitely will be. I can't imagine many planning disasters more worth of condemnation than a parking lot in the parklands, but in this case I honestly think it's fine.

This is undeniably the best spot for a new Women's and Children's hospital, and a facility like that needs close parking. It's also being built in an area that isn't any kind of natural space right now.

Sure it will butt up against the gaol, but while a historical landmark it is so for what it is much more than the location, with the emphasis also being on the inside rather than what is outside it's walls.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2195
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#111 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:18 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm
Definitely will be. I can't imagine many planning disasters more worth of condemnation than a parking lot in the parklands, but in this case I honestly think it's fine.

This is undeniably the best spot for a new Women's and Children's hospital, and a facility like that needs close parking. It's also being built in an area that isn't any kind of natural space right now.

Sure it will butt up against the gaol, but while a historical landmark it is so for what it is much more than the location, with the emphasis also being on the inside rather than what is outside it's walls.
It's not 'fine''. Look at the fly through, the car park literally blocks both the view and access of the Gaol from West Terrace... Not to mention, this paints a picture for 20 years time when they need to make further hospital expansions; the train line is no boundary for this precinct...

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#112 Post by ghs » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:22 am

Will they build a new tram stop outside the new WCH ?

User avatar
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 678
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Eden Hills

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#113 Post by omada » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am

Can someone tell me why this is so expensive ?

I can't fathom it...

GrowAdelaide
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 am

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#114 Post by GrowAdelaide » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:13 am

omada wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am
Can someone tell me why this is so expensive ?

I can't fathom it...
Medical facilities in general are far more expensive than "rinse and repeat" buildings with almost identical floors over multiple levels. Hospitals especially require a huge amount of design and planning as each area will have a unique layout depending on its function. Not to mention inclusions like oxygen pipes and a whole range of medical stuff that you see in rooms that I'm no expert in explaining. But that's basically why..

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 3043
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#115 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm

This will easily exceed $2 billion. Which is a laugh for the party who so roundly criticised the cost of nRAH. At least some of the expense must be down to building in a contaminated, active rail corridor on a fault line. Which is to say nothing for the cost of forsaking parklands, which has apparently become outrageously par for the course. This should be being planned instead as a city-changing project inside the square mile.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2982
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#116 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm
This should be being planned instead as a city-changing project inside the square mile.
Yes, one would assume that there would be space somewhere within a square mile for this
cheers,
Rhino

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 3043
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#117 Post by SRW » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm

rhino wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm
This should be being planned instead as a city-changing project inside the square mile.
Yes, one would assume that there would be space somewhere within a square mile for this
A known short hand for inside the city grid.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2982
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#118 Post by rhino » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:19 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 pm
rhino wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:13 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm
This should be being planned instead as a city-changing project inside the square mile.
Yes, one would assume that there would be space somewhere within a square mile for this
A known short hand for inside the city grid.
LOL thank you SRW, I did know that :lol:
cheers,
Rhino

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1580
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#119 Post by Nort » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:53 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm
This should be being planned instead as a city-changing project inside the square mile.
Where exactly?

The only other suitable site I can think of around Adelaide would have been the former RAH location.

User avatar
ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:15 am

[PRO] Re: New Womens and Childrens Hospital

#120 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:02 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:53 pm
SRW wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:05 pm
This should be being planned instead as a city-changing project inside the square mile.
Where exactly?

The only other suitable site I can think of around Adelaide would have been the former RAH location.
It needs to be built next to the nRAH and in close proximity to the bio medical and medical educational precinct in order to share facilities and resources as a state of the art facility.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests